If you have been following along, you now know how your sleep is related to weight gain. You also now know what good quality sleep means. So how do we get some of that good quality sleep so we can manage our weight better? Here are a few tips:
- Limit exposure to bright light in the evenings. Turn off all electronic devices at the minimum 30 minutes before sleep. This will be the biggest game changer. I opt for 1 hour, but 30 minutes will be a good start.
- Avoid consuming food up to three hours before bed.
- Avoid consuming alcohol up to three hours before bed.
- Avoid coffee or any caffeinated beverages after 12pm
- Exercise regularly preferably in the morning
- Keep a consistent sleep schedule. Get up at the same time every day, even on weekends or during vacations
- Set a bedtime that is early enough for you to get at least 7 hours of sleep
- Establish a relaxing bedtime routine: bath, long shower, a book
- Use your bed for sleeping and sex only
- Make your bedroom quiet and dark. Keep the room at a comfortable temperature.
Want to start sleeping better towards your health goals? Schedule a Free Wellness Consultation Here.