I will admit, I’m not a big soup person. I like the idea of being a soup person, especially in the chilly winter months when all you want to do is curl up on your couch with something comforting. And we are meant to eat warm foods in the winter. Soups and stews help check that box.
So when it does come to soups, I love those of the hearty variety; something I can chew. This recipe is filled with chunks of Italian sausage, mushrooms, cauliflower rice, and kale. Not only is it flavorful, but it will satiate you to your bones.
Italian Sausage Soup
- baking sheet
- Large pot
- 3 cups cauliflower rice see notes
- 1 8-ounce package of white mushrooms thinly sliced
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 whole Italian sausages casings removed
- 4 cups loosely packed chopped Lacinto (dino) kale
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 4 cups vegetable stock one 32-ounce package
- olive oil or avocado oil for cooking
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread the cauliflower rice and mushrooms evenly, coat with oil, sea salt and pepper. Roast 20-22 minutes, stirring halfway through to ensure even cooking.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil to a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the italian sausage, breaking it up into pieces with a wooden spoon. Cook 4 to 5 minutes or until slightly browned
- Reduce the heat to medium. Add the onion, garlic, Italian seasoning, and a dash of salt and pepper. Cook 3 to 4 more minutes, stirring frequently, until onions are translucent and sausage is cooked through.
- Add the vegetable stock to the pot, stirring to combine. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Add the roasted cauliflower rice, mushrooms, chopped kale, and a dash of salt. Simmer 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until kale is wilted and stock has slightly reduced. Enjoy!