This recipe has to be one of my favorite and most flavorful side dishes! Using nutritional yeast and chickpea miso provides a unique umami.
Nutritional yeast: an inactive yeast that stems from sugarcane and beet molasses. Interestingly, it provides a similar “umami” to cheese, providing a unique flavor and mouthfeel.
Chickpea miso: a soy-free miso that uses chickpeas as its base. It is a traditional asian condiment that is fermented, also making it a gut-friendly food. I recommend this brand.
Both of these ingredients are great to have on hand for savory dishes!
Flavorful Butternut Mash
- Immersion blender, potato masher, or food processor
- 3-4 cups butternut squash cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons chickpea miso
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt plus more to taste
- black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread cubed squash evenly on the baking sheet and roast 25 to 30 minutes or until fork tender.
- In a large mixing bowl*, combine the roasted squash, nutritional yeast, chickpea miso, dijon mustard, garlic powder, onion powder, sea salt, and black pepper. Blend or mash until all ingredients are combined and consistency is mostly creamy (there might still be some squash chunks). Give everything a good stir with a spatula or wooden spoon. Serve warm.