I have been playing around with the versatility of my new Gratisfied Empower Bar baking mix, so imagine my delight when it made Healthified donuts! Not only do these donuts have a high nutritional profile, but they are free of all major allergens: grains, gluten, dairy, soy, nuts, and oil. That is right, I have also discovered a way to make our Empower Bars oil-free.
The two types of oils I encourage using with the mix are avocado and coconut. The intention is to use those oils that can withstand high heat given that there is baking involved. But I am also aware that there are some people out there who avoid added oil. I fully support the consumption of coconut, avocado, and olive oils (processed seed oils in packaged foods are what you should minimize), but again, depending on how much oil you are consuming in other meals and snacks, your body might want a break, especially if you have a difficult time breaking down fat (for which I would recommend digestive enzymes). My energy and blood sugar loves healthy fat, but I notice a more sluggish digestion if I eat too much of it (due to my love affair with nut butter). So I fall into this camp of wanting more moderation, and am happy to know the Empower Bars can be made without it.
The onset of fall always makes me things of apple cider donuts. I don’t really know why – I have never really had one. I have baked my own apple spice donuts, but besides that, the idea of this baked good is purely a mental association with the new season. That is what led me to test out the Empower Bar baking mix with unsweetened applesauce, and it worked so well! These donuts are so easy to make, with most of the work done for you. Now there is a healthier donut you and/or your children can enjoy! Eat plain (there is plenty of flavor), or top with the simple sugar-free glaze below.
Happy fall y’all!
Empower Bar Donuts
- 8-cavity donut pan
- Mixing bowls
For the donuts
- 1 package Gratisfied Baking Mix see note
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
For the glaze
- 1/2 cup powdered monk fruit I use Lakanto brand
- 2 tablespoons dairy-free milk of choice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8-cavity donut pan with cooking spray. You can also use a 6-cavity donut pan if that is the one you have, but there will be batter left over to bake another 1-2 donuts.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the Empower Bar baking mix.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, applesauce, and maple syrup.
- Transfer the wet ingredients into the bowl with the baking mix, and using a whisk or large spatula, mix until a batter is formed.
- Spoon the batter into the donut pan, filling each cavity to the top. Bake 14 to 16 minutes until edges start to turn golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.