I encourage you with any nutrition intentions, try not to think in terms of elimination! For example, I hear all of the time people wanting to “cut out sugar.” It won’t get you very far! As humans we are meant to crave sweet foods, and it is very challenging to fight our biochemistry. Instead, where can you add in and upgrade? Lots of foods found in nature are naturally sweet, and then there are recipes like this one, that is a healthified sweet treat.
Avocado and cacao powder come together to create the most delicious, decadent-tasting concoction. Not only are the two primary ingredients nutrient-dense superfoods, but the healthy fat content makes this a blood sugar balancing option to satisfy your sweet tooth. But don’t feel as if you need to limit yourself. In fact, when I created this recipe years ago, I called it “breakfast pudding” because it is healthy enough for the most important meal of the day. Eat on its own or add toppings of choice and enjoy!
Avocado Cacao Mousse
- High-speed blender or food processor
- flesh from 3 ripe avocados
- 1/2 cup maple syrup or coconut nectar
- 1/3 cup raw cacao powder or cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup coconut cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine all ingredients in a high-speed blender or food processor. Blend until smooth, using the tamper and scraping down the sides as needed until creamy consistency is reached.
- Allow the mousse to chill in the fridge for at least an hour. Store in the fridge in an air-tight container for up to 5 days (it even tastes better the next day!).