These brownies encourage you to break away from those traditional holiday desserts you are accustomed to baking, to play around with some superfoods for a nutritious (yet still delicious!) treat. The combination of goji berries, shredded coconut, and pistachios provide a festive flare. This is a fun recipe to make with your kids, or bring to a holiday party.
Healthified Bejeweled Buckwheat Brownies
- 8×8 baking dish
- parchment paper/cooking spray
- 1½ cups buckwheat flour
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ½ cup raw cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 3 eggs, beaten and brought to room temperature
- ½ cup coconut oil, metled
- ⅓ cup dairy-free milk of choice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons goji berries, soaked in water for at least 10 minutes and then drained
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons pistachios, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Line an 8×8 baking dish with parchment paper or spray with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, combine the buckwheat flour, coconut sugar, cacao powder, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and sea salt. Stir.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, coconut oil, dairy-free milk, and vanilla extract. Incorporate the wet ingredients into the bowl with the flour mixture and beat until a batter is formed.
- Pour batter into the baking dish. Top with goji berries, shredded coconut, and pistachios. Use a rubber spatula or wooden spoon to press the toppings gently into the batter.
- Bake 22 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow the brownies to completely cool (about an hour) before removing from the baking dish and slicing into squares.