There are a few ways to make Gratisfied Empower Bars oil-free with the baking mix, but I had yet to try mashed sweet potato. I just so happened to have a whole baked sweet potato on hand from dinner the day before, so I have it a go with the Cacao Empower Bar baking mix. The medium sweet potato equaled one cup with the skin removed. This ingredient would be a substitution for the oil, so I also incorporated the two eggs and 1/3 cup of liquid sweetener (I used coconut nectar, but maple syrup works well too!).
As I was mixing the batter, it was fudgy and dense! With 20 minutes in the oven, the bars came out beautifully.
I didn’t get a chance to taste test them until the next morning, but it was love at first bite!
I couldn’t resist building a breakfast bowl around a bar, so ate one with some Culina coconut yogurt, original Granola Clusters, and banana. So delicious and I swear it put me in the best mood! Cacao is a good mood food.
Mason even enjoyed one for breakfast as well. I felt good about giving it to him as it is such a nutrient-dense option. I think it put him in a good mood too!
In fact, our whole family ate one that morning. These will be gone before you know it! Baking them with the sweet potato might be my favorite Empower Bar Cacao variation yet.
Sweet Potato Cacao Empower Bars
- baking sheet
- 8×8 baking tin
- whisk or hand-mixer
- mixing bowl
- 1 cup mashed sweet potato from about 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 Empower Bar Cacao pouch see note
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/3 cup cup liquid sweetener I suggest maple syrup or coconut nectar
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Prepare the sweet potato. Wash the skin and polk holes in the skin with a fork. Place the sweet potato on the baking sheet and bake for 1 hour until fork tender. Allow it to cool to the point it can be handled. Once cool, scoop the flesh from the sweet potato.
- Make the Cacao Empower Bars. Reduce the oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8×8 baking tin with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the beaten eggs, baked sweet potato mash, and liquid sweetener until creamy.
- Pour the Empower Bar Cacao pouch into the bowl with the sweet potato mixture. Using a large spatula, stir until blended.
- Transfer the batter to the baking tin. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow the bars to cool in the baking tin for about 1 hour. Enjoy!