We’re back with another delicious recipe for you all to try! One of our favorite team building activities is to have “baking days” in our commercial kitchen. With help from our head of production, Jenna, a recipe that includes Gratisfied Bars comes to life, giving us a new way to add some play into the kitchen. On this baking day, Jenna had the idea to make a buckle. Since most of us weren’t familiar with this baked good terminology, we wanted to give a quick description: According to Farmers’ Almanac, a buckle consists of fruit and cake baked together, with a streusel topping. As it bakes the fruit and streusel topping makes the cake “buckle.” It very much resembles a coffee cake.
In our recipe, we used lemon and blueberries, and created an Empower Bar streusel. Check out the recipe below!
Lemon Blueberry Buckle with Empower Bar Streusel
For the Batter
- 1¼ cups blanched almond flour
- 4 tablespoons coconut flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- ¼ teaspoon salt (pink Himalayan or kosher salt)
- ⅔ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 2 whole eggs at room temperature (vegan option: flaxseed egg 1 tablespoon + 1 1/2 tablespoons water)
- 3 – 5 ounces almond milk (as needed)
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1½ cups blueberries
For the Topping
- 2 – 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- ⅓ cup Empower Bars, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
For Coconut Yogurt & Lemon Drizzle
- 100 grams coconut yogurt
- 2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Line an 8×8 baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Sift the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt together in a bowl.
- Beat 1/4 cup coconut oil, coconut sugar, lemon zest, and eggs with an electric mixer or stand mixer in a large bowl until smooth. Next, gently pour in the almond milk (start with 3 ounces) and mix/beat again until fluffy.
- Add the almond/coconut flour mixture to the wet ingredients and stir again. *Note – When using coconut flour, the batter will be thicker. If it’s too thick, add 1-2 more ounces of milk and mix again.
- Finally, fold in the blueberries and spread batter into prepared pan.
- Mix coconut sugar, 1/3 cup Empower Bars, cinnamon, and coconut oil in a bowl and crumble with hands. Spread this on top of batter, then lightly press topping into batter using fingertips.
- Bake in preheated oven until golden on the edges and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 35 minutes. For best results, cover with foil the last 5-10 minutes to prevent burning. Let cool or place in fridge to chill before slicing.
- To make the drizzle, whisk together the yogurt and honey/maple syrup in a small bowl. Add as much sweetener as you feel is necessary – it really depends on how tangy you want it!
- Drizzle over top of buckle or spoon onto individual slices.