In many grain-free baking recipes, eggs make up for the lack of traditional ingredients such as gluten and butter. Given that I have been creating baked goods for a while now, I am also aware that eggs tend to be a food many people are intolerant to. With these biscuits for example, I wanted them two ways: with eggs and without. Keep in mind that the texture and shape will be different between the two, but both are delicious and do the trick if you are craving a biscuit of the Healthified variety!
- 5 tablespoons cold vegan butter or coconut oil
- 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/3 cup tapioca starch
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 eggs beaten (omit for vegan)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Between the two sheets of parchment paper, roll out the vegan butter or spread out coconut oil into a thin disc and place in the freezer until completely solid (about 20 minutes).
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the coconut milk and apple cider vinegar and set aside for about 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, combine the almond flour, coconut flour, tapioca starch, baking powder and salt.
- Take the butter or coconut oil from the freezer and cut into small pieces and add to the dry mix. Using your hands or a biscuit cutter, cut the butter into the dry mix until you get small crumbly pieces resembling corn meal, working quickly to make sure that the butter doesn’t melt. Add the eggs (if using) and coconut milk and mix until just combined.
- Lightly dust your work surface with some almond flour or flour of choice and place the dough on the surface. Knead very lightly with your hands and make the dough into a ball.
- Roll the dough until it’s about an inch thick and take a circle cutter and cut out your biscuits.
- Place the biscuits on a baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Bake the biscuits for about 15-20 minutes until they are golden brown.