As I was dropping off Empower Bars at the local natural market here in Richmond, an acquaintance stopped me in the aisle to not only tell me how much he loved the product, but the most recent way in which he incorporated it into his day (I love hearing these ideas!). I was surprised (yet delighted) to hear he crumbled an Empower Bar atop some pre-made coconut milk ice cream, slowing folding in the pieces to create a creamy sweet treat with a bit of a chewy crunch.
Of course I had to try this out for myself. Although I have made my own no-churn chocolate coconut ice cream in the past, I decided to take a short-cut after finding Cado (not sponsored in any way, just want to share). For those of you who want to give the homemade version a go, find the recipe below.
No-Churn Chocolate Coconut Ice Cream
- 2 cans full-fat coconut milk
- ½ cup raw cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon tapioca starch
- ¼ cup collagen peptides
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ½ tablespoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup + 1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter or nut butter of choice
- Before turning on your burner, add coconut milk, raw cacao powder, and tapioca starch to a medium saucepan and whisk to blend. Start cooking over medium heat, stirring frequently. Add collagen peptides and whisk, continuing to cook until mixture starts to bubble. Remove from heat.
- Stir in peanut butter, maple syrup, and vanilla extract. Whisk until everything is combined. Allow to sit and come to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
- Pour into a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan. Cover with parchment paper or aluminum foil and place in the freezer for at least 8 hours, or ideally overnight. Before serving, allow to soften 10 to 15 minutes. Scoop and enjoy!