It’s the week between Christmas and New Years. If you’re like most, you have indulged in some holiday desserts, but your sweet tooth lingers. And if you’re like me, you still want a sweet treat after dinner most nights! These vegan chocolate truffles are a healthier option, and you only need just one. They can also act as an energizing snack!
Vegan Chocolate Truffles
- Food processor
- Small saucepan
For the truffles
- 2 cups raw walnuts
- 12-14 Medool dates pitted
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter or nut butter of choice
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
For the chocolate coating*
- 1 cup coconut butter
- 1/4 cup coconut oil can be room temperature
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao or cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup omit for lower sugar
- Make the energy bites. Place the raw nuts in a food processor and blend until the consistency of course sand (about 20 seconds). Add the dates and peanut butter, and blend again. While processing, add the melted coconut oil, and continue to blend until a sticky dough is formed.
- Form energy bites into balls of desired size and place on a cutting board or cookie sheet. Transfer to the refrigerator for 2 hours to chill.
- Meanwhile, make the chocolate coating. Place the coconut butter and coconut oil in a small saucepan over the lowest heat. Cook for about 3 minutes until it has melted and become creamy. Add the raw cacao powder and stir until blended. Remove from heat and transfer to a separate medium bowl. Add the maple syrup and whisk (it might cause the mixture to slightly thicken). Dip the energy bites into the coating mixture and place on a cutting board or cookie sheet. Do this until all of the coating mixture is used up, which might take 2 to 3 coats. Transfer back to the refrigerator to set. Store in the fridge.