One morning my husband expressed a craving for the gluten-free vegan donuts we enjoyed in Spain…four years prior. I wracked my brain to think of the ones he was referring to, but after a minute or so, I decided to create something from scratch. The combination of goji berries and peanut butter popped into my head, so I went with it. The husband was very pleased with what came out of the oven. Eat plain or drizzle with melted coconut butter for a Healthified glaze.
Peanut Butter Goji Berry Donuts
- 6-cavity donut pan
- hand mixer or stand mixer
- Mixing bowls
- 1/4 cup goji berries soaked for 15 minutes
- 1 flax egg 1 tablespoon ground flax + 2 tablespoons water, soaked for 10 minutes
- 1/2 cup almond milk or dairy-free milk of choice
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon tapioca starch or arrowroot starch
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- melted coconut butter for glazing if desired
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 6- or 8-cavity donut pan with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, prepare the flax egg by whisking together the ground flax and water. Set aside for at least 10 minutes.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the almond milk and apple cider vinegar. Set aside.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, mix the almond flour, coconut sugar, coconut flour, tapioca stqrch or arrowroot starch, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir until blended.
- To the bowl with the almond milk mixture, add the flax egg, creamy peanut butter, maple syrup, and vanilla. Whisk until creamy.
- Pour the wet mixture into the bowl with the dry ingredients and start beating on medium speed, increasing the speed as needed until a batter is formed. Spoon the batter to the donut pan, filling each one to the top.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow the donuts to cool in the donut pan, at least 1 hour, or until they can easily come out. Glaze with melted coconut butter if desired.