I am currently breastfeeding, so incorporating more whole grains into my diet is on the forefront of my mind. Foods such as rolled oats help support milk supply, given they are an oral galactagogue. Studies have shown women who may need to increase milk supply turn to these foods as a natural remedy. Other examples include fenugreek, fennel, and brewer’s yeast. While more research is need to determine whether incorporating these items into your diet actually works, it couldn’t hurt to try.
Bake up a batch of these cookies to have for breakfast, or keep in a container to grab and go while nursing. For a more convenient (i.e. packaged option), try Gratisfied Oat Bars. I personally keep a box by my nursing chair!
Healthified Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
- 2 cups Almond flour or brown rice flour
- 1 cup Gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup Coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon Ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon Sea salt
- 2 Eggs (beaten and at room temperature)
- 1/4 cup Plus 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/4 cup Coconut nectar or maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Raisins
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchmentpaper.In a large bowl or stand mixer, mix the almond flour or gluten-freeflour of choice, oats, coconut sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, bakingsoda, and salt. Stir to blend.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, melted coconut oil, coconutnectar or maple syrup, and vanilla. Pour the wet ingredients into thebowl with the flour and oat mixture. Beat until a dough is formed. Addthe raisins and beat again. Transfer the dough to the refrigerator andchill for 10-15 minutes.
- Once the dough has chilled, use a cookie scoop or your hands to gatherabout 2 tablespoons of dough and roll into balls of equal size. Placethem about 2 inches apart on the baking sheet.Bake for 10 to 12 minutesuntil edges have started to turn golden brown.
- Cookies will be soft to the touch when you take them out of the oven,but they will firm as they cool. Allow the cookies to cool on the bakingsheet, about 30 minutes, before serving.