With warmer days finally here to stay, we wanted to share a recipe that isn’t quite as rich and heavy as some other cupcake recipes! These healthified date caramel cupcakes are light and airy and absolutely addicting. Check out the recipe below!
Date Caramel Cupcakes
For the date caramel:
- 2 cups Medjool dates (with pits still in; about 20 large dates)
- 3-4 cups boiling water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of sea salt
For the cupcakes:
- ½ cup full-fat coconut milk
- ½ teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- ¾ cup almond flour
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup of the date caramel
For the frosting:
- ½ cup coconut oil, room temperature
- ½ cup palm shortening, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot starch or tapioca flour
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt (plus more for sprinkling if desired)
- remaining date caramel
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- In a medium bowl, soak the dates in the boiling water for 20 minutes.
- Drain the dates, reserving 3 tablespoons of the soaking water. Peel the dates (skin should easily come off) and remove the pits.
- In a food processor, combine the pitted dates, the reserved soaking water, vanilla, and salt. Blend for 20 to 30 seconds, scraping down the sides as needed until creamy. Transfer the mixture to a small bowl and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, mix the coconut milk and vinegar. Whisk and set aside. In a large bowl or stand mixer, mix the brown rice flour, almond flour, coconut sugar, tapioca flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir to blend.
- Transfer the coconut milk and vinegar mixture to a high-speed blender or food processor. Add half of the date caramel (reserving the rest for the frosting), along with the maple syrup. Blend until creamy.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the flour mixture. Start beating on medium speed. If batter is too dry, add 1 tablespoon of melted coconut oil until desired consistency (up to ¼ cup if needed). Continue to beat until a batter is formed, increasing the speed as needed.
- Transfer the batter into the muffin liners, filling the cups about two-thirds to three-quarters of the way full. Bake for 22 to 24 minutes, until the tops are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of one comes out clean. Allow the cupcakes to slightly cool for 5 to 10 minutes in the muffin tin, before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting, about 2 hours.
- In a large bowl, mix the coconut oil and palm oil shortening. Beat with a hand mixer until fluffy, about 1 minute.
- Add the arrowroot starch and salt and beat again. Add the reserved date caramel and maple syrup and beat until everything is combined, using a spatula to scrape down the sides as needed.
- Using a spatula, mix the frosting. Frost the cooled cupcakes immediately, or transfer the frosting to the refrigerator for 10 minutes for a denser texture.
It was our sales manager Brooke’s birthday this week, and these cupcakes were the perfect treat! She is not much of a chocolate girl, so I knew we had to whip something up that was both festive and delicious. She can’t stop eating them, and I must admit I save some for myself that I have been enjoying in my breakfast. 🙂 I hope you get the chance to make these soon!